Saturday, December 25, 2004

idioms 11:


1-be up for grabs :

INFORMAL if a job, prize, opportunity etc. is up for grabs, it is available for anyone who wants to try to have it
Available for anyone to take or win:
“The reputation of the... king is still up for grabs” (William Zinsser).
available and ready to be won or taken:
- There are hundreds of prizes up for grabs in our competition.

2- put the squeeze on sb
INFORMAL to try to persuade someone to do something, especially by using threats
put the squeeze on sb (US ALSO put the bite on sb)
SLANG to ask someone to give you money:
- She put the squeeze on her mother for a hundred bucks.
- The insurance company put the bite on me for a huge increase in my premium after I crashed the car.


3- twist somebody's arm
to persuade someone to do something they do not want to do:
- I didn't want to go but Linda twisted my arm.

4-be staring sb in the face
a) INFORMAL to be very clear and easy to see; be OBVIOUS:
• The solution is staring you in the face.
b) to seem impossible to avoid:
• Defeat was staring us in the face.

5-be breathing down sb's neck
INFORMAL to pay very close attention to what someone is doing, in a way that makes them feel nervous or annoyed:
• I can't work with you breathing down my neck.

6-sth is nothing to sniff at
used to say that something is good or impressive enough to be considered carefully:
• Sloan's predictions are nothing to sniff at, according to analyst Frank Dunn.

7-fall for (sth /sb)
phrasal verb [T] INFORMAL
1 [fall for sth] to be tricked into believing something that is not true:
• I can't believe he fell for it when we told him we were French!
• He told me I'd double my money in six months and I fell for it hook, line, and
sinker (= was completely deceived).
2 [fall for sb] to suddenly feel romantic love for someone:
• Jackie's fallen for a man half her age.

fall for sb (LOVE)
phrasal verb INFORMAL
to suddenly have strong romantic feelings about someone:
- She always falls for unsuitable men.
- He's fallen for her in a big way.


fall for sth (BE TRICKED)
phrasal verb INFORMAL
to be tricked into believing something that is not true:
- He told me he owned a mansion in Spain and I fell for it.

8- on the blink

SPOKEN not working correctly:
• The radio's on the blink again.

No comments: