Saturday, July 09, 2005

Get:

As any English student knows one of the most frustrating things to learn are all the various uses of "GET". Get is used as a verb by itself with various meanings. One of the most difficult areas of usage is how "get" combines with prepositions for form phrasal verbs. Add to these problems the variations in colloquial usage and you have got ;-) a recipe for confusion! Below is a list of the principal usage followed by a short quiz. Hopefully you will get it (i.e. understand the proper usage) after you have finished.
GET alone

To receive
I got a book for my birthday.
To earn
I get $7 an hour.
To bring or fetch
Can you get that book for me?
To understand
Do you get the lesson?
To be affected by, or catch
He got a cold last week.
To catch or take
I got the 4.55 train to New York.
To communicate with
I got him by phone.
To have a strong effect on
That film really got me.
To capture or seize
The police got him at the station.

GET used in a phrasal verb

These are not all meanings of these phrasal verbs. I have chosen the principle meanings as a way of focusing on the principal meanings of these extremely important verbs.

Phrasal Verb

To get about (or around) To be socially active
Tom really gets around, doesn’t he?
To get ahead To be successful
It’s very difficult to get ahead nowadays.
To get away To escape
The thief got away from the police.
To get back To recover or retrieve
I got my books back from Tom.
To get by To survive financially
Sally gets by on just $1,000 a month.
To get in To enter a car, train etc.
Come on, get in! Let’s go.
To get into To be accepted
He got into the university of his choice.
To get off To exit from a train, bus etc.
Jerry got off at 52nd Street.
To get on with To have a good relationship with
I really get on well with Janet.
To get out To leave
I got out of class at 3.30.
To get over To recover from an illness or bad occurrence
He got over his operation very quickly.
To get through To succeed in an examination, test etc.
That was a difficult test to get through, wasn’t it?
To get up To get out of bed
I got up at 7 this morning.

Get – Colloquial usage

Gotta To have to (US)
I gotta go it’s late
Have got to To have to (US)
I’ve got to hurry up!
To get down to business To begin working
Tom arrived at 12 and immediately got down to business.
To get together To meet
Let’s get together this weekend.
To get it together To improve one’s performance
Come on! Get it together – you are playing horrible tennis.

No comments: