Friday, December 09, 2005

Daily conversation


Communication

Conversations on the phone....

o You're so difficult to get through to!
o I kept getting a busy signal.
o Is your phone out of order?
o My telephone was disconnected.
o We seem to have a bad connection on this phone.
o Would you care to leave a message?
o He's out to lunch? Would you like to leave a message?
o Let me get back to you in a few minutes.
o I've put him on hold.

Telephone Service...

o I'd like to get telephone service.
o I'd like to have a phone installed.
o I'd like to have my phone disconnected.

Other...

o Don't beat about the bush!



Eating

Expressions about eating and food...

o It tastes stale!
o I couldn't help it. They were so od!
o How do you want your beef?
o Make it small, please.
o I want it to be very, very lean.
o How often do you eat out?
o I'd like to reserve a table for dinner.
o It's on me.
o It's my treat.
o A drink to you and your future wife!





Emotions

Anger

o I can stand him any longer.
o Don't take it out on me!
o No wonder you're livid.
o He flared up at me.
o Even the mention of his name starts me fuming.

Anxiety

o You look concerned. What's on your mind?
o I've t to quiet down and get focused.

Fear

o ing to the dentist really unnerves me.




Fashion

Expressions about skin care, clothing, and cosmetics...

o Her skin looks so newborn baby smooth!
o The razor burn is really irritating.
o It knocks out bacteria and fungi.
o Why! Age has set in!
o I'm ready for a lift.
o I'd suggest you get a facial for deep cleaning.
o She's behind the times.
o This parka has ne out this year.





Friendship

Expressions about friendship...

o Don't forget to drop me a line!
o It's hard to keep up contact!
o Why don't you have a heart-to-heart talk with her?
o Honesty is the best policy.





Health

Expressions about health...

Diet
o I'm on a diet!

Insomnia
o I didn't sleep a wink last night.
o I was all over the bed!
Cold
o I feel like a new person.
o You look run down.
o I think I'm running a temperature.

Other
o The cavity is killing me.
o She poked me in the eye.
o My head is spinning.
o You have an iron stomach.
o It wasn't just any snore.
o His snoring is getting worse and worse.
o I was burnt to a crisp.
o I think school is giving me hives.
o I feel like I've been run over by a freight train.
o My head is stuffed up.
o I slathered her in sunscreen.






Housing

Expressions about housing...

o Don't you have air-conditioning in your apartment?
o My kitchen sink is clogged!
o What's wrong with the drain?
o My water faucet is dripping badly now.
o I wonder why no one is on top of this!
o He moved out last weekend.
o Do you have an apartment available?
o Even my ose bumps have ose bumps.
o Can I open a window and get some ventilation in here?





Life

Busy life

o I've t a pretty tight schedule today!
o I'm up to my neck in work.
o Let's call it a day, shall we?
o We could do it first thing tomorrow morning.
o Why is life always rushie-rushie?
o I'll just grab something to eat.
o I'm tied up for the moment.

Things beyond one's control and expectation

o Something might have come up!
o I couldn't help it.
o That's how rumors get started.
o I don't know how to break it to you.
o I hope there's nothing serious.
o James went out of business recently.
o Things do happen.


Faith and hope

o Everything will work out just fine!
o Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best!





Memory

Expressions about memory...

o I can't think of it off hand.
o I've t to brush up on it.
o It slipped my mind.
o I left the keys in the car.
o I was locked out of my apartment last night.
o Let's back up. Where was I?
o I can't think of it off the top of my head.





Money

Expressions about money...

o Can you break a twenty dollar bill?
o Do you have change for a dollar?
o I have some coins I need to change.
o I need five dollars in quarters.
o It just costs me another 50 cents.
o I am out of quarters.
o I thought you were well-off.
o I'm kind of broke.





Romance

Expressions about romance...

o Someone has a crush on Jenny.
o I think he's my Mr. Right!
o I heard you're ing out with Jane.
o He's head over heels in love with you.
o There's plenty of fish in the sea.
o I'm breaking up with her.
o I just can't get it off my mind.
o We're not seeing each other any more.




Shopping

Expressions about shopping...

o Do you have these shoes in size seven?
o That's a rip-off!
o Are you being helped?
o I'm just browsing.
o Keep the receipt in a safe place.
o Do you want to take a ride to the mall with me?
o We can still do some window shopping, can't we?
o Do you need every color in the rainbow?




Time

Expressions about time...

o My alarm clock didn't off this morning.
o I always forget to put the clock back one hour.
o My watch always gains ten minutes a day.
o I always set my clock ahead ten minutes.


Traffic

Expressions about cars and car problems....


o My car broke down.
o The battery is dead.
o My car turned out to be a piece of junk.




Expressions about traffic accidents, traffic jams, etc.

o She wasn't badly hurt, but she was shaken up.
o You ran through the stop sign.
o I thought I could make a right turn here.
o If you could approve you are not at fault.
o Do you have the problem with road rage?
o Traffic was brought to a standstill.
o Traffic was bumper to bumper.
o The traffic is crawling.





Traveling

Expressions about traveling....

o Can you keep an eye on my bag?
o You should've kept an eye on it.
o Can you save my place, please?
o Is this seat taken?
o I really miss the comforts of home!
o East or west, home is the best.
o I'm low on gas.
o We're only staying overnight.





Vacation

Expressions about vacation....

o We've t three holidays in a row!
o I guess I can put it off until next month.
o I'm through for the summer.
o I wish I could get away for a while.





Weather

Expressions about heat

o Oh, my! The whole world is broiling!
o You've t to drink a lot of fluids.
o Oh, the heat is unbearable!
o The water just es off without a warning.


Rain

o It's raining cats and dogs today.


Drought

o It hasn't rained a drop for months!
o The drought conditions are severe!



Work

On the job

o Why does she have a long face?
o Chances are slim!
o I am overwhelmed with a heavy workload.


Looking for a job

o I'll keep that in mind.
o I believe I have a od chance.