Saturday, January 21, 2006

Typical Errors:

1.
a) Be careful to water the African violets regularly.
b) Make sure you water the African violets regularly.

2.
a) The dialogue in this video is very difficult to catch.
b) The dialogue in this video is very difficult to understand.

3.
a) I apologize for our fault and will send you a full refund.
b) I apologize for our mistake and will send you a full refund.

4.
a) In some places you feel like in a jungle.
b) In some places you feel like you are in a jungle.

5.
a) I bought some cheap cloth to make some curtains.
b) I bought some cheap material to make some curtains.
c) I bought some cheap fabric to make some curtains.

6.
a) By going to the college or university you get more mature.
b) By going to college or university you get more mature.

7.
a) She is married. ~ Where did you find that out?
b) She is married. ~ Where did you know that?

8.
a) He is from Liverpool, as you can tell from his accent.
b) He is from Liverpool, as you can know from his accent.

9.
a) You're late. ~ I know.
b) You're late. ~ I know it.

10.
a) I went to a nice restaurant called the Elizabeth last night.~ I know.
b) I went to a nice restaurant called the Elizabeth last night.~ I know it.

No comments: