Monday, August 28, 2006

The Despair of Loneliness

One evening in 1808, a gaunt, sad-faced man entered the office of Dr. James Hamilton in Manchester, England. The doctor was struck by the melancholic appearance of his visitor.

He inquired: "Are you sick?"

"Yes, doctor, sick of a mortal malady."

"What malady?"

"I am frightened of the terror of the world around me. I am depressed by life. I can find no happiness anywhere, nothing amuses me, & I have nothing to live for. If you can't help me, I shall kill myself."

"The malady is not mortal. You only need to get out of yourself. You need to laugh; to get some pleasure from life."

"What shall I do?"

"Go to the circus tonight to see Grimaldi, the clown. Grimaldi is the funniest man alive. He'll cure you."

A spasm of pain crossed the poor man's face as he said: "Doctor, don't jest with me; I am Grimaldi."

No comments: