Sunday, October 02, 2005

Colloquial Pairs 2 :

Choose the appropriate 'pair phrase' to complete the sentence.

ins and outs
cloak and dagger
spick and span
up and about
ups and downs
song and dance
collar and tie
pins and needles
sick and tired
bits and bobs


1. I love reading suspensful ________________ novels.
cloak and dagger

2. When I called the computer company all I got was a __________________. The problem wasn't resolved.
song and dance

3. She's _________________ of her boss. I think she's looking for a new job.
sick and tired

4. As soon as you learn the ______________ of the business, you'll be very successful.
ins and outs

5. I keep all the _____________ in that drawer over there.
bits and bobs

6. Don't worry, you'll be _____________ within 10 days.
up and about

7. It's a formal dinner, very much a _____________ affair.
collar and tie

8. He likes to keep his house _____________.
spick and span

9. Of course all marriages have their ______________, but they are worth the effort.
ups and downs

10. I'm sitting on ______________ about this job interview next week. I'm so nervous!
pins and needles

No comments: